Associate Editor, Breaking Muscle
Breaking Muscle is seeking an Associate Editor to lead and expand the news and evergreen editorial content on BreakingMuscle.com (a property of BarBend). This editor will work closely with our Editor-in-Chief and part-time contributors to pitch, write, edit, and format a variety of written content for the site. The Associate Editor will also recruit, onboard, and manage new writers in our growing roster of out-of-office contributors. The role will include relationship building with athletes and influencers in the strength sports space. The Associate Editor will play a crucial role in representing Breaking Muscle within the strength sports community. This role will work closely with and report to our Editor-in-Chief, CMO, and CEO.
Please see full application requirements and instructions below.
Associate Editor Responsibilities:
- Regularly pitch and write content in the strength sports space, including but not limited to news, Op-Eds, and training/nutrition content
- Update existing Breaking Muscle content to fit modern best SEO and editorial practices
- Recruit, manage, and edit contributors from around the globe
- Work with our SEO team and Editor-in-Chief to identify and assign topics to in-house and contributing writers
- Maintain existing and build new relationships with athletes, influencers, sports governing bodies, and PR professionals in and around the strength sports space
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and editorial skills, including both news and long-form content
- 2-3 years minimum editorial experience at a publication in the health & fitness space
- 1-2 years minimum experience managing and editing other writers
- Experience writing and editing in-depth training and nutrition content. You don’t need a certification, but you should be able to speak the language and communicate effectively with experienced coaches and nutritionists.
- An interest in and knowledge of exercise and nutrition.
- Knowledge of strength sports, including weightlifting, powerlifting, CrossFit, strongman
- Knowledge of current SEO best practices
- Ability to communicate effectively across multiple content teams
- Experience with WordPress CMS
- Comfortable with on-camera work and familiar with video production
- Ability to travel for event coverage, video filming, and other company events
- Full time, with health insurance benefits
- Paid vacation
- BarBend features a remote-first work environment for candidates based in the U.S.
- Competitive pay
Email a resume and full cover letter, along with any relevant clips or examples of your work, to [email protected]
Please include “Associate Editor Application” in your subject line.
About BarBend and Breaking Muscle:
For over a decade, BreakingMuscle.com has been the web’s home for in-depth resources on strength training and sport. BarBend acquired Breaking Muscle in 2021 in order to relaunch one of the internet’s most respected strength brands with new resources and an updated focus on reaching diverse audiences in strength. BarBend.com and BreakingMuscle.com will operate as partnered sites with distinct voices and content.
Founded in 2016, BarBend (Breaking Muscles’ parent company) is the leading online outlet for strength sports news, analysis, training, opinion, product reviews, and more. Reaching approximately 4 million readers per month around the world (and growing), we produce high-quality written, video, and audio (podcast) content on all things strength. BarBend is the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting.
BarBend is an equal opportunity employer. We actively highlight diverse perspectives, experiences, and accomplishments in strength training and sport. People of all backgrounds, including educational backgrounds, are encouraged to apply.